Healthcare for students

If you are a EU citizen, you must bring your European Health Insurance Card – EHIC in order to have access to medical care. Using your card you can go directly to a General Practitioner (“medico di base”) All the costs will be charged directly to your insurance body.

For some specialist services, the payment of a “ticket” is required as a contribution to cover part of the costs.

If you are a non-EU citizen you have access to the National Health Service only after paying an annual registration fee of €149.77. The fee covers the calendar year from 1 January to 31 December and cannot be split.

If you have a health insurance purchased in Italy or in your own country and stamped by the Italian Embassy you may go to any General Practitioner.

If you need a specialist treatment, you can choose any doctor, also on the advice of your chosen GP. You must pay for the visits to the GP and any specialists, and then apply to your insurance company for a refund.